Come with us as we return to South America this summer to volunteer at La Casa De Fe, a home for abandoned and special needs children in Shell, Ecuador.

"Let the little children come to me, and do not hinder them, for the kingdom of heaven belongs to such as these.” ~Mathew 19:14

Wednesday, July 25, 2012

We are home!

by sara

We arrived home yesterday exhausted but happy to see our family. The last few days before we left Quito went well.

We spent Saturday packing and then saying goodbye to the Casa kids and all of the tias. It was really hard to leave the Casa that evening knowing that it was the last day in Shell.

2012-07-21 and 22 23 0142012-07-21 and 22 23 0122012-07-21 and 22 23 0222012-07-21 and 22 23 0262012-07-21 and 22 23 0312012-07-21 and 22 23 0322012-07-21 and 22 23 034

Sunday morning we hopped on the bus and made the 5 hour ride to Quito. When we arrived we caught a taxi to the north end of town and checked in at our guest house. We stayed at “Angelica’s” which is more like a beautiful home than a guesthouse. We had stayed there on our way into Ecuador and it was good to see a familiar face.

We also saw one familiar face that we had not been expecting. It turned out that a friend from Colorado was also staying at Angelica’s! Don was in Quito visiting his Compassion sponsored children and without knowing it we were all booked the same guest house on the same days. As we chatted and caught up we also realized that we were booked on the same flight home on Tuesday!

Monday morning we slept in and had a good breakfast before heading to the Compassion office. Erin and I spent the day visiting with my sponsored child Elian and his big brother William. I will share more about the visit later, but suffice it to say we had a great time. 2012-07-21 and 22 23 241

That evening we had dinner at our guesthouse and spent time relaxing and sharing visit stories with Don. At about 9pm one of the other Casa de Fe volunteers arrived. She was also flying out the next day, so we spent the evening sharing kid stories and repacking our suitcases.

After 2 ½ hours of sleep we woke up and headed with Don to the airport. We buzzed through check-in and immigration and were at the gate over an hour and a half before our flight was ready to take off. Our flight to Houston went well and after a short delay, we had a smooth flight to Denver.

It is hard to believe that we are home now. After 4 years of transitioning back home we should be experts, but it is always difficult. After we take the next few days to reacclimate to life here in the USA we will be working on some more posts about the precious children at Casa de Fe.

1 comment:

  1. Welcome home! It seems the time went really fast, but I've enjoyed following your posts and look forward to reading more. Here's to re-entry and rest. Blessings.